Third-party sponsored billing is a billing method by which an entity such as company, corporation, or government agency can establish direct invoicing and payment on behalf of the student.
Rice University students who are being sponsored by his or her employer or government can participate in our third-party billing service. Personal sponsors or sponsors that pay based on the student’s grades are not eligible.
How it works:
To initiate the process, the student must provide a letter (also called financial guarantee or authorization) issued from their sponsor to the Cashier's Office containing the following information:
- Student name and Student ID number
- The beginning and ending date of the sponsorship
- Types of fees covered (tuition, fees, health insurance, housing, dining, etc)
- Restrictions in funding related to financial aid that may be received by a student.
- The sponsor's billing address
- Letter must also state that Rice University will be paid directly. Payments should never be sent to the student directly.
Once the sponsor's letter is received, an anticipated payment credit memo for the amount authorized by the sponsor will be applied to the student's account.
Click HERE to download the Third Party/Sponsored Payment instructions.
Per the Student Financial Responsibility Agreement, the student is fully responsible to pay for all tuition, room and board, fees and other charges incurred by the student or assessed as a result of registration and/or receipt of services or fines. Payment(s) not received from a third party sponsor or pre-paid plan by the deadline will result in the removal of the student's third party/sponsor anticipated payment credit memos from the student account. Any charges left unpaid on the student's account are subject to standard billing and late fees, registration holds, transcript/degree holds, and collection agency actions.