Prepaid cards intended for small gifts, prizes, or survey incentives may be purchased through the Cashier's Office.
Card Types Available
- Amazon - physical gift cards and e-gift cards
- Target - physical gift cards and e-gift cards
- US Bank Visa prepaid cards - physical gift cards ($1.50 charge per card)
Requesting Prepaid Cards
- Complete the Prepaid Card Request Form for each time a disbursement is need. A separate form must be submitted is purchasing from more than one vendor listed above, and a separate form must be submitted for each card denomination issued.
- If the prepaid card request supports compensation to Human Subject Survey Participants, IRB approval should accompany the Prepaid Card Request Form.
- Upload the completed documents to our secure folder at https://cashier.rice.edu/secure-file-uploads.
Disbursing Prepaid Cards
- Complete the Prepaid Card Disbursement Log
- Upload the completed form to our secure folder at https://cashier.rice.edu/secure-file-uploads.
- An IRS Form W-9 form must be collected for all non-Rice affiliated recipients. Forms should not be collected in person but, instead, collected through a secure upload process, then shared with the Cashier's Office through RiceBox.
Cards will be held by the Cashiers Office until disbursement guidelines are satisfied for all recipients in a single request.
- Cards provided to Rice University students will be reported as scholarships and will be reflected on Tax Form 1098-T .
- Non-Rice affiliated recipients may receive Tax Form 1099 if Rice accumulated payments to a recipient meet the $600 reporting threshold. Accumulated payments may include other forms of payments.